Accused of a Sex Crime in Rhode Island?
When your loved one has been accused of a sex offense, like child molestation, indecent solicitation of a child, or possession of child pornography, your goals become very clear:
Avoid jail time
Stay off the sex offender registry
Fight wrongful accusations
Protect your job, your reputation and your dignity
Stop coerced statements from being used at trial
Hire an experienced lawyer who can help end this nightmare
A Unique Approach
The moment you learn that a loved one is being investigated or has been arrested for a sex crime, it is important to call an attorney who is experienced in these difficult cases. The accusation alone will cause complete upheaval of your life. The media, the community, your job and even your family can turn on you. It can be the most isolating experience of your life - but you do not have to walk this path alone.
Our attorneys have spent decades litigating cases where children are the main witnesses. We have a unique approach to these cases and have been successfully fighting child molestation allegations in every court in this state.
When this allegation is made, it feels like nobody wants to hear what you have to say. We're listening.
You are not the first person to be in this position. Here are the Frequently Asked Questions we receive.
Why Choose Our Law Firm?
- Specialized Focus: We focus on serious felony and child sex cases, providing you with unparalleled expertise in this sensitive area of law. Our deep understanding of relevant rules, legal precedents, and defense strategies empowers us to build a strong case on your behalf. More than that - we understand children. These cases can come down to the story that the child is telling - your lawyer needs to be confident that they can speak to a child/teen and confront the allegations.
- Proven Track Record: Our track record speaks for itself. With a history of successful outcomes in child sex cases, we have consistently secured favorable results for our clients. Our dedication to our clients' rights and well-being sets us apart.
Our attorneys have experience with the following types of cases:
- False Allegations
- DNA Evidence
- Medical Evidence
- Special Victims
- Children Coerced to Make Allegations
- Domestic/Marital Allegations
- Campus Sexual Crimes
- Statutory Rape
- Physical Incapacitation
- Date Rape Drugs
- Motive and Bias to Allege Sex Offense
- Alcohol/Intoxication and Sex Crime
- Unintentional Downloading of Illegal Materials
- Prison Rape
- False Confessions to Sex Offense
- Over-the-Clothes Touching
- Prior History
- Compassionate Approach: We understand the emotional toll that child molestation charges can have on you and your family. Our compassionate approach ensures that you receive not only top-notch legal representation but also the empathy and understanding you deserve during this difficult time.
- Tailored Defense Strategies: Each case is unique, and we recognize that a one-size-fits-all approach won't suffice. We meticulously tailor our defense strategies to your specific circumstances, ensuring that your case receives the personalized attention it requires.
- Thorough Investigation: Our commitment to your defense begins with a comprehensive investigation. We thoroughly review evidence, interview witnesses, and analyze every detail to build a strong defense that challenges the prosecution's case.
Navigating the Legal Process:
- Initial Consultation: Your journey starts with a confidential consultation where we'll listen to your side of the story, answer your questions, and provide an initial assessment of your case's strengths and challenges.
- Strategic Planning: After a thorough evaluation, we'll work with you to develop a strategic plan that aligns with your goals and seeks the best possible outcome.
- Vigorous Defense: Throughout your case, we'll employ a vigorous defense approach, leveraging our experience, resources, and network of experts to challenge the evidence and protect your rights.
- Transparent Communication: We believe in transparent communication. You'll be informed of the progress of your case every step of the way, ensuring you have the information you need to make informed decisions.
Navigating the Fallout of the Charges
If you feel overwhelmed by this crisis, please read our message about Finding Strength in Challenging Times.
If you have children, please review this guide for Navigating Difficult Conversations: Supporting Your Children When Their Father is Arrested.
If your children had the unfortunate experience of being present while their dad was arrested, please review our statement about Helping Children Heal: Navigating the Impact of Witnessing Their Father's Arrest.
One of the most common questions we receive is whether an accused or a convicted sex offender will be allowed to live with minor child- including their own biological children. We answer this question in detail in our guide, Navigating Living Arrangements for Accused Sex Offenders: Understanding Restrictions and Considerations.
Can sex offense charges be filed based on the child's word alone?
In Rhode Island, a charge can be filed based upon the accuser's statement alone. No additional evidence is needed for the State to file charges. At a trial, the jury is told that they can convict based upon the accuser's statement alone, if they believe that testimony beyond a reasonable doubt. So, yes, the accuser's word alone can be enough to get charged... and convicted.
This is why it is crucial to hire a lawyer who will be prepared to prove your innocence beyond a shadow of a doubt. This is not the time to sit back and be polite. We will work with you to develop an aggressive strategy to take on these charges. It is no easy task to challenge the word of a child - but our lawyers have done this time and again, with many success stories.
Can I prevent the charges from being filed?
When you learn that the police are investigating you for a sex crime, it is a good idea to hire an attorney as soon as possible. It is possible to prevent charges from being filed- even serious charges like child sex crimes. No lawyer can guarantee a miracle like this - and make no mistake, it will absolutely feel like a miracle if the charges never see the light of day. But we can work together to best navigate the delicate investigation stage. Our attorneys have decades of experience and know the steps that need to be taken to best protect yourself during this stressful time.
What do I do if the charges are filed?
The first thing to do is retain an attorney. It can feel overwhelming to begin the process of researching and interviewing lawyers. If you feel confused about what to look for in a lawyer, please review this guide about Choosing the Right Defense Lawyer: Hiring a Lawyer for Child Molestation Charges.
At the first court date, the judge will make a determination about whether bail will set. This is a complicated process. For a very basic overview, please read our guide, Understanding Bail for Child Molestation Charges in Rhode Island: What You Need to Know. The best way to accomplish the goal of getting your loved one home is to work with their attorney about what materials are needed, as soon as possible.
If charges have been filed against your spouse, please consider whether you need a Power of Attorney document to help with pressing financial or legal (non-criminal) issues. Review our guide, Understanding Power of Attorney After a Loved One's Arrest: What You Need to Know, for more assistance.
What can happen if convicted of a sex offense?
If convicted of a sex crime, you are facing a significant loss of liberty. This can come in the form of a jail sentence- first degree child molestation and sexual assault are punishable by up to life in prison. But your liberty could be affected in other ways, too. Convicted sex offenders are given risk levels and must register with the City or Town they live in. The State of Rhode Island maintains a database of all sex offenders and publishes the names, location and case information for all level 2 and 3 offenders. GPS monitoring can be ordered as a condition of release. This GPS monitoring could be required for the rest of your life. (Did you need to go back and read that sentence again? We weren't exaggerating when we warned you about the significant loss of liberty!) There are strict rules about where you may live, and how close that address is to schools and daycares. You are restricted in your ability to travel, or even to sleep anywhere that isn't your registered address.
If you have been accused of a serious sex offense, it is important to know what you are facing... but then call Manosh Payette, LLC to focus on the fight to clear your name. Don't let the stress of what could happen overwhelm you. There is something that you can control right now -- hiring the best possible attorney to create a case strategy that solves all of your goals - including protecting your family from the fallout of these accusations. Contact Manosh Payette, LLC, because your future deserves the best defense.